For the safety of our employees and clients the Brantford Expositor office is currently closed. Our team is working remotely and available to assist you during regular office hours. Please see our Contact page (brantfordexpositor.ca/contact-us) to reach the appropriate party.
The Brantford Expositor has been serving Brantford and Brant County since 1852 when the population of the city was just a few thousand people.
The Expositor has been a part of more than 160 years of history, covering events that include an account of a 1876 evening at “Tutelah Heights” where “A. Graham Bell” explained his new system of telephony, the laying of the cornerstone for the Brant Monument in Victoria Park in 1886, the victory of Six Nations runner Tom Longboat as he took the Boston Marathon in 1907, the rise and fall of the farm machinery business and Wayne Gretzky's last game in 1999.
Throughout the years, the paper has been the go-to source for news about elections, sports, storms, farming, fires, floods and royalty visits, along with critical information from the war front during the First and Second World Wars.
Award-winning reporters, photographers, designers and editors have been honoured over the years with dozens of citations for their work, both provincially and nationally. In fact, two of the honours at the annual Ontario Newspaper Awards are named after former Expositor employees, editor Ken Strachan and photographer Jack Bowman.
The paper has been published without interruption since it began, providing the primary source of news to the city and county.
The broadsheet is currently owned by Postmedia.
In 2010, The Expositor left the iconic downtown building that became its “modern” home in 1895 and moved to a business park at 195 Henry St.
The Expositor is the newspaper of record in the community of Brantford, named for Mohawk chief Joseph Brant and a convenient place for crossing the Grand River – Brant's ford. Brantford, which began as a small settlement in the 1820s, is also known as the Telephone City.
Along with being the home for a time of inventor Alexander Graham Bell, the area is known for its history as an Underground Railroad stop, huge farm machinery businesses, hockey great Wayne Gretzky and his family, being the first city to fluoridate water and the oldest Protestant church in Ontario (the Mohawk Chapel)
Due to its many historic buildings and proximity to Toronto, Brantford has also been used as a locale by popular television shows and movies, especially Murdoch Mysteries, Slings and Arrows and The Handmaid's Tale.
In 2005, the inside of The Expositor was even used for a scene in Silent Hill, which was shot in and around the downtown.
Today The Expositor is not only a printed product but is providing digital content that gives readers a fast look at what's happening in and around their community via our webpage, Facebook and Twitter.